what you need :
- 3 organic free range eggs
- 130g sugar
-1tbsp of vanilla extract
-200g all purpose flour
-10g baking powder
-4 1/2 tbsp of whole milk
-200 grams of butter (melted)
-strawberries, raspberries, coconut shavings, sliced almonds (optional)
what to do:
1. melt your butter in a saucepan on low heat
2. in a bowl, mix your dry ingredients - flour and baking powder
3. in a separate bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, and vanilla extract together until it gets to be a bit foamy and froth-like
4. mix the milk into the now cooled butter and add this to the egg mixture
5. slowly mix in the flour. don't put in all the flour at once. you can do this in 3 steps to make sure it's well mixed in. to make sure that you get the best madeleines, put this mixture in the fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight. this allows the mixtures to solidify a bit and makes for some good texture.
6. when you are all ready to bake, pre-heat your oven to 200C/375F. let bake for a good 15mins or until the top gets a bit golden. your madeleines should rise within 7-8 mins in the oven.
I like to add fresh strawberries in my madeleines after they are baked. To do so, you can take a apple corer and core the middle of the madeleine and add a bit of your strawberry. You can also add raspberries to the madeleines just before putting them in the oven (bottom right photo) and then when baked, insert some homemade lemon curd into the raspberries. I also like to add coconut shavings and sliced almonds before putting them in the oven to give it some crunch and flavor.
these are great for tea time, bringing some to a party, or for breakfast with coffee. one of my favorite french pastries.